March 14, 2005

My Maid....

"Daryl(not his real name), go home already," the maid gently asked as she approached the kid.

"WAIT!" the kid shouted, anxious to carry on his game of badminton.

Little dramas happen all around me when i walk home. All kinds of scenarios, and this is one of the most common.

Most of the people take it for granted that since they pay so much for a maid, the maid is obliged to slog for them. True, the maid should work hard for the money, but have they thought of how it feels to be so far away from home, has no freedom to call her own, and worse of all, serve a mean employer and his/her mean family members?

Of course, we're talking about the norm. There are still a lot of employers who treat their maids well and the maids in turn work for them for very long terms. And not forgetting maids eho dont bother and render poor service and are totally dishonest.

But let's focus on those who deserve the concern shall we?

A good example would be my aunt's maid, who has worked for them for 10 years already, since my cousin was juz 2 year old til now. Another example would be my previous maid. Being our first and last maid, she left us wonderful memories. Of course there were times when my mum flared when her work wasnt satisfactory, but my family, especially my brother who was a baby then, became very attached to her.

"Ah Ca" was what my brother called her because being toothless, he couldnt pronounce the words properly.

When my mum decided to stay home to personally take care of our needs, the maid had to go. We knew 2 months before her contract expired that we wouldnt renew her contract. However, Marica did not slack. She still did her job as well.

The day finally came, like a chinese saying suggests, there is no banquet in this world that wouldnt end. How true. That morning, my dad booked a cab for her.

Off she went, in search of her happiness in Phillipines.

All of us cried...even my dad...

Even as i think of her now, i still miss her a lot.

I miss her pumpkin dish.

I miss her massage.(it's superb!)

I miss how she took care of us.

I miss the late-night chats with her.

I miss her...

The whole family had been so close to her. But upon knowing she's got herself a good employer with higher pay in HongKong through her aunt, we were happy for her.

Although i know she wouldnt be able to receive this blessing of mine, i still want wish her all the best in every aspect of her life.

Good luck!~ Miss ya!~

Ooh, by the way, my mum just asked my bro to call my dad. And guess what my bro said when my mum got impatient?

"If you want people to do things for you, be patient"

Hmmm...i'm impressed..

Anyway, gotta rush through EOF, MLE, and WFM.....

Til Then Folks..ChEeRs!~ ;)

No comments: