August 20, 2004

my FW article...

I rushed my FW article from 12am to 230am last night(18 aug), only to find out what rubbish i wrote in a sleepy state..urgh...

This morning(19 aug) when i read my article, i almost fainted. What did i exactly write den? The whole article was so disorganised, chunks of paragraph did not link, even i myself dont know what i wrote, not to mention Ms. Hui..

so here's my edited but still undesirable article on my first graduation from primary school..some parts are made up cuz i cant really remember and some parts are real...ah ma, mum , and sis shld remember rite?(p.s:dun rem i kill u all k....geez..)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Growing up

“Bye” was the last word I wanted to say then.

We had been such great friends, great buddies, best companions, loveliest classmates, and even moral supports to each other.

“What am I to do without them?” was what kept hovering in my mind. We had been classmates for six years and we went through so much. We gave each other support and were so dependent on each other.

I cried under my blanket the night before we got our PSLE (Primary School Leaving Examination) results. I knew that this time, we were to go separate ways for sure. I cannot rely on them forever. I have to stand up and live my life. Reluctantly, I wiped my tears, only to let them out of control again as I thought of my future. I wept and reminisce about the happy and bad times we went through. It was all over.

We fought, we played, we danced, we sang. We even named ourselves “The Nine Sisters” in Mandarin.

All of us resisted facing up to this day where we would have to separate, but time does not stop for anyone.

The day finally came. All of us came in our Tanglin Primary School uniforms for the last time. We were all smiles, all anxious and excited about our results.

“HsuehChing, I’m really scared, what if I fail?” Cheryl whispered as though butterflies were flying all around frantically in her stomach. I reassured her that her results would be fine and that she would be able to promote to the Express stream with every one of us. As I assured her, my heart started thumping so hard I felt as though I was suffocating.

I was nervous.

At that moment, I could practically see my heart thumping through my navy blue pinafore.

I looked around. Everyone was grasping their hands, praying fervently for their ideal results. I was no exception. I smiled all the while, not wanting to show any signs of nervousness, but the anxiety almost killed me.

“Ng Hsueh Ching, come and get your results,” it was my turn. I dragged my feet across the classroom to the teacher’s table directly opposite where I always sit in class.

Slowly, I flipped open the result slip and took a peek. As I scanned through my result slip, a sense of achievement plus sadness swept through me.

A sense of achievement filled me because I finally completed my first phase of core education, and sadness because I did not do as well as I expected to. Not that I studied exceptionally hard, but we all aimed to enter Crescent Girl’s School together, all of us even put Crescent Girls as our first choice for our secondary school.

I got a 216 for my total aggregate. This mark did not offer me a place in Crescent Girl’s School. I was rather disappointed, but the fact that only two of them were able to get into Crescents’, cheered me up a little, not that I was being sarcastic, just that the majority of us still had a chance to get into another school together.

Perhaps it was due to my fever on the last two days of my paper. Apparently, I tried drinking Chicken Essence on the second day of my PSLE, hoping to build up my health, only to make myself suffer from a high fever.

After all of us got our results, we began getting emotional. We hugged each other. Upon getting rather decent results, we decided to have a mini celebration where we walked to the Tanglin Halt market for our lunch and some deserts.

Time passed so quickly, after our mini gathering, we bid each other goodbye and promised to organize a gathering soon.

In the end, all of us went different ways. Some went to Queenstown Secondary, some River Valley High, and some New Town Secondary and so on. I was posted to Queenstown Secondary initially, but my father insisted on appealing for a school nearer to our Jurong home.

I strongly resisted, a few of my best friends were there. Moreover, I was in the same class as most of them. But I did not have a choice; my father’s decision was final.

We surely organized our gatherings very soon. Now, we make it an annual event. Every November or December holidays, we would meet up for a barbeque party. This is the time where all of us would talk about what we did and liked in primary school and laughed at our foolishness then.

1998 was the memorable year that I graduated from primary school and learnt how to face the harsh reality of life for the first time. I learnt how to stand on my own and not just hang on to the past.

Our friendship remained strong over the years. Till now, we have been friends for 12 years and we are still in close contact. I would consider this amazing as many of my secondary and polytechnic classmates actually do not even keep in contact with their primary school classmates anymore, not to mention a gathering.

Those in JC are taking their “A” levels at the end of the year which means they will finally be free from all their tests, exams, and stress after that. During our past gatherings, we always had to make our gatherings short because the people studying in JC just had so little time to spare. We always had barbeques, at different places though. Everyone would rush for the last train home. This time, we hope that every one would be really relaxed and just enjoy ourselves thoroughly without worrying about the time.

My first graduation made me realize that I cannot depend on my comfort blanket all the time, things and people around me will change. I would have to walk out on my bare foot with my own strength to discover the world. No one is obliged to pull me through. It is my determination that I have to depend on to go on in life.

I no longer feel that excruciating pain of separating when I move on to the next phases of my life. I gradually understand that the world still revolves even if you stop there.

When I left my secondary school, I faced another dilemma. Most of my friends had decided to proceed to Junior Colleges (JC). I had the same thought, I wanted to just go with the flow and complete my studies as I had thought of since young, the direct way to University and then to work, but I wanted to enjoy what I would be studying too.
I decided to withdraw from JJC (Jurong Junior College) and appeal for a place in Singapore Polytechnic in Media and Communications; mainly because of the strong recommendation my cousin gave. Luckily, I got a place.

I realized the best friends whom one can ever make are in the primary school days, where everyone is so pure and innocent. You know each other from young and understand their characters so well you can even predict what they want even before they voice it.

Cherish your loved ones around you. Your family and good friends are the ones who care about you and give you advice for the best of your interest.
(1217 words)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
See what i mean? There's no focus. all i can hope now is to get sympathy marks..geez..

Anyway, i gotta try to get my DMA thing from the DMS lab, but it's so troublesome, why cant they just install some device for DMC students to get in easier? With the tracking device, it would be hard to even be up to any mischief. Since they already spent so much on the studio, why not just spend a bit more money to make it more convenient for students to do their work and still ensuring the safety of the DMS? I'm sure there are ways, it all depends whether the school wants to do it or not. Well well, i shld juz think of a way myself and not blame everything except myself...

And I'm still thinking of the best alternative for my trailer. Should I do a voice-over or simply place some words on a black screen to link my story up?..hmm..

Geez...nvm...nitez...

No comments: