August 03, 2006

{Update: August 3, 2006 -- Of adventures(& misadventures) }

{Update: August 3, 2006}

*~ Of adventures(& misadventures) ~*

Story 1: Discoveries - August 1, 2006

It was a day of adventures and misadventures that turned out rather fruitful and enriching.

I had to settle some stuff at my to-be-Unicampus in the morning, after which I decided to pack some food up to my grandma's place for lunch and nap till evening, then meet up with my cousin. The plan brought me across the bridge from my campus and onto the path we used to walk down so frequently almost a decade ago. Though the school building had been replaced by high-rise apartment blocks, the vivid mental imagery seemed to have brought me back to the good old days. The field where we'd played countless times of soccer, boys and girls running across the fields for games of catching, and screamings from the girls when we were unable to snatch the soccer ball from the boys. Every Kodak moment seemed to hit right into me with the gentle breezes. We had left our footprints in almost every corner of the field from morning PE runs, soccer games, catching, and whatever took us there. It wasn't a tad hard to recall the scenes of pure childhood bliss.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Remember we tried climbing over this gate not only once, but twice or even thrice around Primary four cuz we were almost late for school and the other way to school would only make us late, Sis? For once, some boys from our class even stopped their usual morning soccer game to cheer us on, but it only made matters worse. Being the monkey ching, you climbed over without a hitch quickly and gestured for me to start climbing over before we got really late, and it didn't help at all that I had a crush on one of them and they were cheering us on for an embarassing act. Just what was I thinking? Fortunately I didn't end up like Humpty Dumpty!

Oh, and the other side of the gate used to be this deserted school building formerly housing the students of Queenstown secondary when their school building underwent construction. Remember the days where our guts got the better of us and we explored the deserted school? And who can forget the sudden creaking of a rusty door that sent us on a record-breaking fly back into the safety of our compound?

The concrete path is now buried under layers and layers of wild grass. It will come to a day where people would forget that such a path even existed.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And remember the ground level house selling the best Ice Lollies Aizat introduced us? Remember the path we used to walk home together everyday? Remember block 24 to block 28 where our 'block catching' and 'area catching' took place every now and then?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Our favourite desert and Hokkien Mee & Char Kway Teow stalls. The thumb never goes downwards for the quality and affordability of the food from these stalls. If I'm not wrong, I even treated the girls (our 'seven sisters') to desert on one of my birthdays cuz you lovely girls gave me such endearing presents. ;) Thankfully most of you gave a thought for my wallet and ordered the cheaper choices.

I'm never deprived of topics to chat with my Grandmother. Even with my not-so-fluent-Teochew, I can blabber on and on about everything from updates of my friends they know of, to what I'm up to, to what the other relatives are up to. Speaking of which, there's sort of a saga that's brewing over slow fire before exploding one not-very-fine day. Well, what can we say? It won't help anyway. Since the leads of the saga are unaware of the situation for now, the rest of us in the know will just stay away from troubled waters and wish for the best. Phew!

Then Grandpa showed me this very adorable photo of me and my cousin, JinCai, after I gobbled down my sinfully delicious Hokkien Mee. Heehee..
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
For unknown reasons, I didn't exactly like smiling for the camera when I was younger, though my mum trained me to get accustommed to getting into cheesy poses when I got older (and I think I actually grew to enjoy it). I loved acting cool, well.. ok, I still do - just in a different manner.

A full stomach and a welcoming sea-blue bed brought me into Dreamland effortlessly. Before my beautiful dream could get to the finale, the melody from my mobile aroused the drooling big bear from her sweet dreams as the alarm dutifully went off at 5pm.

Then, the misadventures started when a just-awoken bear met up with a blur sotong. I thought I was quite good with directions and recognising of routes, but when you meet someone like my cousin, don't be surprised when you turn into some unfamiliar route unknowingly and walk on to a totally different place.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

But it was a fruitful misadventure. We discovered many different, special, and some exciting places I could bring the rest to the next time we decide to have any gatherings or meals. There was a Japanese Dining Place we came across that I knew our dear Clarice would love coming to. The red and black painted wooden decor looks exactly like a replica of one of those japanese dining huts you see very frequently in modern japanese dramas.

When we finally gave up looking for the damned mall and headed back to where we came from by taking turns to ask for directions, we came across the map at the MRT station which made us felt all the more dumb. So much for walking all over and around where we wanted to go, walked every way, crossed every bridge in vain. Hahaha..Luckily my court shoes were seasoned and marinated to the point of saturation so my feet escaped unscathed from blisters. Wahahaha..can't help but laugh at our own silliness. Silly me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Story 2: Treasure Hunt - July 29, 2006

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Nina, Clarice and I decided to go for a treaure hunt together at Chinatown to get 'Cheena-fied', like Nina suggested. In fact, I'm already a certified 'Cheena-town treasure hunter' since I'd found treasures at low costs since the start of the year and you can quite safely say I'm a regular there. Besides good rates for various cosmetic and skincare ranges, the variey of handicraft and accessories there is unbeatable! And what I loved of that place is the spirit of 'digging for treasure'. When you find something there you've always wanted after much effort, the phrase 'sweet fruits of labour' can't be more apt. The ladies went home as happy as they could get with a truck full of things they couldn't believe were priced that low when simple things like these could retail for 10 times the profit.

It wouldn't be right if we'd missed savouring authentically good traditional desserts. Being good kids, all three of us filial children even packed home packets of desserts to ferry all the way back to the West. Wahahaha..

~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love exploring new places, especially interesting ones like these. Be it an adventure or misadventure, it's exhilirating when you go exploring without an itinerary. Hmmm... where shall we venture next?

Hahaha..

Til then folks! Cheers to this drama-addict who has gotten herself more active outdoors! Wahahaha.. ;)

No comments: